Eating a breakfast burritos can be a delicious and convenient way to top your morning meal. There is no one “right” way to prepare this dish. However, there are some common cooking ingredients and techniques that you can use to make a “classic” breakfast burrito.
Ingredients for breakfast burritos
- 2 eggs
- peppers, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms (diced)
- sausage, ham, or bacon (cubed)
- milk or half cream (like the one used for fluffy scrambled eggs)
- tortilla (large)
- rice (optional)
- beans (optional)
- avocado (optional)
- condiments (optional)
Prepare the ingredients for breakfast burritos
Step 1: Break two eggs into a clean bowl
Then beat them with a whisk or fork until evenly blended. Do it for no more than 20 seconds. If you beat the eggs for too long, they could thicken.
Consider adding a few tablespoons of milk or half cream to give the eggs a fluffier consistency. You can also use water of the same amount for this purpose.
Consider mixing the cheese with the eggs. Use the grated cheese of your choice. Cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese usually pair well with a breakfast burrito!
Step 2: Cut the vegetables into fine cubes
You can use whatever you have on hand or buy vegetables especially to prepare the burrito. Common ingredients to prepare this dish include:
- Fresh bell peppers, roasted peppers and hot chili peppers.
- Cooked onions of any kind.
- Ripe Fresh Tomatoes – Be careful not to use juicy tomatoes or you will ruin the burrito.
- Mushrooms: fresh, clean and of any variety.
Potatoes: cooked and finely diced. That way, you’ll get a hearty burrito. Although most other vegetables don’t need to be cooked at all, you should cook the potatoes.
Step 3: Includes meat
- If you eat meat, use the type of meat that you prefer so that the burrito is hearty. For a classic breakfast burrito, use commonly eaten “breakfast” meats like hot dogs, bacon, ham, or chorizo. Feel free to use whatever other meat (chicken, beef steak, turkey, etc.) you have on hand.
- Cook the meat with the vegetables, unless you are making multiple burritos for vegetarians and meat eaters. In this case, keep the ingredients separate.
Step 4: Cook rice and beans
Rice and beans are optional ingredients in a breakfast burrito, although many people consider them essential to this dish. Feel free to add just rice or beans!
- Rice will take longer to cook unless you prepare it ahead of time. On the other hand, you can add a good amount of carbohydrates to the burrito.
- Beans are easy to prepare. Heat canned black beans, pinto beans, or refried beans to give the burrito a legume touch. You can heat the beans with the vegetables in the same skillet they are cooked in, or you can microwave them and add them separately.
Step 5: Mash an avocado until it is pureed
- Choose a ripe avocado, peel it and mash it into guacamole . Avocado is optional, but it can be a good way to add flavor and texture to your burrito. For maximum freshness, do not open the avocado until you have cooked the other ingredients and are ready to wrap the burrito.
- If you don’t use all of the avocado, store it in the refrigerator, topped with a little citrus juice.
- If you’re making a meatless breakfast burrito, you can use avocado as the “meat” and main filling ingredient. This ingredient is a common substitute for meat.
Cook the ingredients
Step 1: Cook in sequence
- Keep in mind that some ingredients will take longer to cook than others. Start the rice first, then the potatoes and beans. Afterward, cook any meat raw, unless you are using previously smoked ham, sausage, or bacon. Grill peppers, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, and other easy-to-cook vegetables at the same time. Cook the eggs last, as they will be ready in no time.
- If you are using previously cooked or smoked meats, you can simply grill them along with the diced vegetables. Easy-to-cook meats can include hot dogs, ham, and bacon.
Step 2: Stir the eggs
- . If you want to keep the eggs, vegetables, and meat separate, you can scramble the eggs in one skillet and cook the other ingredients in another. Otherwise, mix all the ingredients in the egg bowl and then toss them in a large skillet.
- Another thing you can do is mix all the ingredients in a bowl with eggs and place it in the microwave so that the mixture cooks for about three minutes. Cooking time will vary, so check the mixture once the eggs start to rise. Don’t let the eggs stick out of the bowl!
Step 3: Grill meat and vegetables
- Place the vegetables and cubed meat in a skillet and cook for several minutes over medium heat. Add spices and seasonings to taste. Again, add eggs at this point to cook the scrambled ingredients.
- Consider cooking meat and vegetables in sauce to add flavor. Pour half a cup of sauce into the skillet with the grilled ingredients.
Wrapping the burrito
Step 1: Spread the tortilla
- Have a large, fresh flour tortilla. Spread it out on a clean plate or cutting board so that you have a stable surface on which to assemble the burrito. At this point, you can add toppings for garnish such as salsa, sour cream, and grated cheese, or wait until the main ingredients are in.
- Consider pre-heating the tortilla. Cook the omelette in the microwave for thirty seconds or heat it directly on the stove over low heat. Be careful not to burn the tortilla on the stove. It should be hot but not crispy!
Step 2: Stack the filling ingredients on the tortilla
Add the eggs, vegetables, meat, rice, beans, avocado, or whatever other ingredients you have prepared. Make sure you don’t overfill the burrito that you can’t fold it closed! Lay the ingredients in a thin line across the center of the tortilla leaving at least 2 inches (5.1 cm) on each side and at least 1 inch (2.5 cm) on each end.
Step 3: Add the ingredients to decorate
If you haven’t added any garnishing ingredients yet, put them on top. Spread cheese over the mountain of ingredients. Scoop sour cream or sauce along the line. This procedure can be a fun way to spice up your breakfast burrito.
Step 4: Roll up the burrito
- First, fold the wide sides of the tortilla inward. Next, roll up the burrito from the bottom. In this way, you can “seal” both ends to eat the burrito easily.
- Consider grilling the burrito. For a delicious spin on the dish, place the rolled burrito on a skillet or grill to sear the sides. Cook on high for 20 to 60 seconds until the tortilla is firm and the grill marks appear.
- Fry up some hash browns and add them to your burrito!
- Be creative! Experiment with other ingredients that make your mouth water.
- Dice the potatoes, onions, peppers, etc., and fry them. When you’re done, add the eggs. Stir them and cook. When the eggs are cooked, roll the batter into an omelette shape.
- Use frozen potatoes, such as O’Brien’s, with additional chopped onions and jalapenos.
- Add some oregano, sauces, avocado, or your favorite spice to add more flavor to the dish.
- Don’t add too much milk or cream. Otherwise, you will prevent the eggs from cooking properly.
- Remove the plate from the microwave carefully.
Things you will need
- cutting board and knife
- grill or microwave
- fork, whisk, spoon
- serving plates